Saturday, November 1, 2008

Attempt #1

So we tried to go to the hospital yesterday to have this baby :) Key word? Tried.
I woke up Friday morning feeling like I had the flu- chills, nausea, vomiting... the works.
Around 11am I noticed that I hadn't skipped a contraction in a while, which is what had been happening for the past week, so I decided to try to pay a little more attention to how they felt.
At 12:42, I decided to start timing them for real. By 1:43 I had experienced contractions every 4-7 minutes and they were starting to get stronger... so we decided to get cleaned up and load the car. I called my nurse and she suggested we head to the maternity center for a "labor check". YAY!!
After stopping to feed the Panduku's fish (they're in Michigan) and debating whether or not to watch Thursday night's episode of "The Office" on their DVR (we chose not to), we got to the hospital around 3:15. Contractions were getting harder to breathe/talk through, so I KNEW we were on our way!
At the hospital they hooked me up to monitors for about 40 minutes to chart my contractions and Avery's heartbeat. Everything looked good so the nurse suggested we walk for an hour.
That hour was not much fun. After about 20 minutes of walking, I was feeling the contractions in my back (way more uncomfortable) and they were definitely stronger and coming more often. At 5, they hooked me back up to the monitors- the contractions were coming every 2 minutes, they were definitely stronger, and I had dilated and effaced a little more... yay, progress!
I rested until 6ish and we decided to get up and walk around a little more. We ended up walking to the cafeteria so William could eat dinner and I could get some jell-o. We returned from our trip a little after 7... back onto the monitors. The contractions were definitely stronger, enough to make me nauseated... and a couple even went off the top of the charts! But apparently all of this didn't matter because they were only 8 minutes apart. So, because of the spacing of the contractions and the lack of change in my cervix between the 5:30 and 7:30 checks, they gave us the option to head home (a place without monitors where I can eat all the food I want) or stay the night. We chose to go ahead and go home- and went to bed at 8:55 :)

So here I am. After 12 hours of sleep in 4-10 minute increments. Waiting for the contractions to pick up again. We'll keep y'all posted. :)


Anna said...

You said "cervix" a blog post...sorry she didn't launch, but she's just waiting for us to get home. We're coming Baby Avery!!

Anna said...

That was actually me...Kenny

Andy and Kelly said...

BeLLY PIC!!! We want a Belly Pic! Just one last "I'm about to pop," literally, pic!!! Post so we can see Avery's little face just pushed against your belly with her tongue sticking out, saying, "na na na boo boo! I don't want to leave you!" :D

I'm glad you guys got the laundry room cleaned up today!